CALL US NOW 1300 697 736


Name Kai Alexander SimpsonDate- 16/06/07
Time 15.38
Hospital Mercy Hospital for Women
Weight 959 grams
Gestation 32 Weeks
Birth Type Emergency C/S LUSCS
Presentation Breech
Birth Anaesthesia Spinal

Complications that led to early Birth- Placental Insufficiency

  • Suspected IUGR
  • Abnormal CTG
  • Malpresentation / Breech
  • Oligohydramnios

Time to resuscitate- 4 minutes
Resuscitation- CPAP using O2, IPPR Bag and Mask

Kai’s Medical Issues at Mercy- Prematurity / IUGR and Breech Presentation at Birth

  • Respiratory Distress Syndrome
  • Sepsis (antibiotics given)
  • He was Vomitting Blood (scary)(Ranitidine Stat dose given)
  • Hypospadias
  • Neonatal Jaundice
  • Apnea Issues
  • Failed Hearing Test- Right Ear

Transfer Details-

Kai transferred from Operating Theatre to Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) Birth Weight Percentile- Below the 3 percentile

After an extensive period of time in NICU and Special Care and numerous issues, Kai was transferred to Northpark Private Hospital for ‘Fattening up’. He was transported to Northpark via ‘baby ambulance’. When he left Mercy he weighed 1494 grams after weighing 959 grams at birth.

His nursing discharge comment included the following quote, ‘Kai is a much loved little baby here at the Mercy, take good care of this beautiful little boy’. Kai made ‘first class’ progress at Northpark and had only a few issues such as continued apnea problems. After a total of about 70 days in hospital at both Mercy and Northpark, Kai was finally allowed to come home. He was home for a few days when he was readmitted to Mercy with severe vomiting, diarrhoea, high temperature and lethargy. He spent a further 5 days in Mercy. He was then home for another week and was readmitted to MERCY with a further virus.

Kai came home for two weeks and was admitted to The Royal Childrens Hospital with more severe vomiting and with a suspected hernia. He stayed 2 days and was sent home. We were told if the hernia pops out ‘just pop it back in’ and when it doesnt pop it back in, it is time to come back to hospital. We spent a few days popping Kai’s Hernia back in when finally it wouldn’t pop back in. We immediately took him back to RCH where he was operated on for a double Hernia. Unfortunately the right side had become badly infected and inflammed and required more work and a longer hospital stay. It was pretty hard to hand our beautiful little boy over to the surgeons so that they could put him to sleep and operate on him. He recovered from the Hernia operation and came home for a few weeks. Again he had severe vomitting and diarrhoea and was readmitted to RCH with a nasty virus. During the third night of this stay we were changing his nappy when we noticed it was full of blood. Kai had been bleeding internally.

His release report stated that ‘Kai had undergone a chronic and life threatening blood loss’. He received two blood transfusions as his blood levels had dropped to life threatening levels. He had a team of doctors and surgeons surrounding him. He again was sent to theatre and received a Gastroscopy and Colonoscopy under General Anaesthetic. It was the longest and hardest wait of our lives.

Kai was found to have four lesions in his bowel that were bleeding. This was found to be caused by an allergy to cows milk and had been heightened by his virus. His lesions were sealed and he spent an extended time in hospital recovering and being monitored. Kai was not allowed Soy or Dairy for the first two years of his life. All up he was in hospital for 100 plus days. Since then he has had things such as Whooping Cough, Asthma and Croup.


  • Stay up-to-date with our newsletter

  • Hidden