Explaining the death of a sibling to children can be daunting for parents who are also dealing with their own grief at the loss of their child. It is common for parents to feel unsure about what to say and how much to tell children and to want to protect them, especially when children are very young and may struggle to understand the concept of death.
To support families during this very difficult time Life’s Little Treasures Foundation in partnership NIDCAP Australasia have developed MY Brave Journey, an interactive, guided children’s colouring-in book
This gorgeous book uses Australian native animals to talk children through their emotions and experiences associated with the loss of a baby. Inside parents and children work through each page at a pace and stage appropriate to their family. My BRAVE journey covers:
• What they might see in a hospital
• Normalising feelings and how to express them
• Who to talk to when your feelings feel too big
• How to say goodbye and remembering your sibling
• How to tell your friends
• A parent section on how to use the book and where to get further support.